My Blog List

Friday, June 22, 2012

What Happened In Vegas Didn't Stay In Vegas

That's right, 15 years baby.  On June 22, 1997, I married Andrea Lynn Maduzia (Boyum) at the Candlelight Wedding Chapel in Las Vegas, Nevada at 3:30 in the morning.  We had only known each other for 6 months, so I'm sure we had our share of naysayers.  To all of you who ever thought or said "I give them 2 months", all I have to say is . . . .


I had gotten the ring before we left and had every intention of proposing on the plane.  I had a note that I slipped to the stewardess with instructions to the pilot.  Now-a-days, I would be tackled and anally probed if I tried something like that.  I had it arranged with a stewardess that she would come by and give me a signal when the pilot was about to come on the radio to give me time to get my video camera out.  Then as I was filming, she would come up and be very interested in my video camera as it was the FIRST model to have the built in viewing screen.  Then as she was holding it (and recording, you sly dog Corey), the pilot would come on and say something like (blah, blah, flying at 22,000 feet, blah, blah, peanuts give me the shits, blah, blah, oh and could Andi Maduzia please stand up, Corey Case has something he wants to ask her.  Here it is if you want to see it.


My actual proposal was, "For a while now, you've been my life, my whole life, and I want you to be there for the rest of my life.  Will you marry me?"  The whole plane erupted in hoots, hollers, and applause.  I really did not think this would lead to actually getting married on that trip.  We were in line at Wet and Wild (tore down now) waiting to get on this ride.


It had this rocket capsule that you got into and then the floor dropped out sending you down that wedgieriffic slide.  But, I digress.  Andi, looked out over the beautiful Vegas sky and said, "So, do you wanna do it?"  I assumed she was talking about getting married and not really doing "it" on the steps in broad daylight in full view of 100 people so I said "Sure".  We went back to our swank hotel the Westward Ho (tore down now. . . this is a recurring theme in Vegas) and started making arrangements.


It was now getting on evening so even though Las Vegas is the city that never sleeps, they do close their damn shops every now and then.  We were having a hard time finding a tux and dress rental place still open but finally found one that was closed but would rent to us if we could get there before they were done doing inventory.  So off we ran.


Oh my God, I had her ring but not one for myself.  Hmmm.  I don't have much money so where would be a logical place to get myself an affordable wedding band?  Not Caesar's Palace you say?  Doesn't matter, only place open.  Good thing I was in shape at that time as I RAN 2 miles down the strip in 100 degree heat.

Shut the Hell up, you old bag!  Well, got my ring at Caesar's and I actually didn't have to hock the plane tickets home to get it.


Next came booking the chapel.  We decided on the Candlelight Wedding Chapel down by the Riviera hotel.


I mean if it was good enough for Bette Midler, Michael Caine, Whoopi Goldberg, and Barry White, then it's good enough for us.  Most recently, you can catch a quick shot of it in the movie Dodgeball with Vince Vaughn.  But alas, our chapel is now gone.  I thought it was torn down but it turns out that it was just moved across town and was donated to the Clark County Museum.  See . . .  



I wish I would have known this in 2007 as we were there and I would have liked to see it.  Back to the story.  A 3:30 a.m. was the earliest (or latest depending on your lifestyle) wedding time that we could get it.  And dammit, Elvis was done for the night.


Now it was off to the courthouse for our marriage license.  Only in Las Vegas could you be 8 couples back for a marriage license at MIDNIGHT!  Well, we got it and the wedding went off without a hitch (except for that Goddam Kenny G suckfest background music).  During the ceremony, I felt something rubbing against my leg and looked down to see a cat with a tag that said "Cupid".  How many of you can say that?  The ceremony was followed by hours of drinking up and down the strip which was then followed by a morning call to stunned parents.  This was capped with an all day pass out to be awakened at 5 p.m. by a congratulatory call from my sister.  Wanna see the wedding. . . .


There was a restaurant next to this chapel called the Algiers.  When I went to Vegas with a buddy a few years before this trip, we ate at this restaurant.  It was where people would wait for their wedding times, so every few minutes someone would come in and holler "JOHNSON WEDDING PARTY!" and so on.  We thought that was hilarious.  Well, here is our wedding photo.  I love how you really would have no idea that it wasn't taken at a traditional church wedding.  I will break it down for you in the vein of the old VH1 pop-up videos.




LOVE YA' BABE!  HAPPY 15TH AND MANY, MANY MORE!






3 comments:

  1. Love you too! Thanks for making me laugh the last 15 years. Here's to 50 more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bring back the mullet !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LET'S DO IT! We'll rock the mullet together. You know, we are just cool enough to bring it back.

    ReplyDelete